It’s getting to be that time of year again! Many of you have probably already started your holiday shopping. I started lists back in September but really need to get buying for the peeps in my life!
When thinking of gift idea for our families, Rob and I like to be really intentional and thoughtful. We try and shop local if we can, but many times Amazon wins for it’s fast shipping and convenience. Nevertheless, we spend a lot of time planning and thinking about gifts for each person in our life. [Fun Fact, Shannon spends more time creating lists for gifts for herself then everyone else combined].
Below I’ve rounded up some of my favorite gift ideas for family and friends this year (many are local to Northwest Ohio!). Hopefully this gives you some ideas for your holiday shopping!
- Michelle Brunner Art – If you follow my Instagram, you will have seen a few posts and Instagram stories about my love for Michelle’s art! Michelle is a local Northwest Ohio artist and she paints the most beautiful watercolor paintings of Lake Erie and the surrounding landscape.
You HAVE to check out her Instagram and website. Her paintings are so bright and colorful and full of nautical details. I want to purchase some of her work for my dining room but I can’t decide which painting I want since I want them all! Her art is the perfect gift for the person who loves art, shopping local, and the nautical life.
- Essential Oils from Young Living – Over the past few months I’ve become quite interested in essential oils. Not only do they smell delightful, but they are amazing at curing tons of ailments. I’m a very anxious person by nature so the lavender infused “Stress Away” oil is essential for my daily life.
In general though, essential oils are wonderful for fighting cold and flu symptoms, alleviating pain, healing skin conditions, balancing hormones, improving digestion, eliminating toxins, the list goes on and on. [Legal disclaimer, talk to your doctor before curing cancer with lemongrass and ginger oil]. Gifting someone in your life who is interested in lovely scents and using natural products, essential oils are a great gift. I personally only use the Young Living brand because of their high standard practices and packages. My friend Hannah sells Young Living Essential Oils and she has some fantastic information on her Instagram page. Be sure to check it out!
- Packer Creek Pottery – Unique pottery is such a fun gift idea for any occasion! I love finding pottery on our travels (we have vases from St. Lucia and Mexico and mugs from Scotland). But when I can’t jet off somewhere exotic to find some unique pottery, I turn to a local pottery shop. Packer Creek Pottery sells super bright, colorful pottery. All the pieces are painted a fun pattern, which makes it easy to buy for people (I have a ton of pieces from their blue and white and nautical line – who’s surprised?). The variety of pieces in which you can choose from is endless – vases, platters, bowls, tables, mugs, etc. This is definitely a great idea for anyone who loves pottery, shopping local, and fun prints!
- Maumee Bay Brewing Company Craft Beer – This is for the craft beer lovers in your life! Established in 1995, Maumee Bay Brewing Company operates out of the Historic Oliver House in Downtown Toledo. They create delightful ales, lagers, porters, and stouts. Not only do they brew several different types of brews, but they also have several restaurants throughout the Toledo area. [Mmmmm, now you have my attention…maybe Santa will get me a six pack this year].
- Books – I know this is general, but books are always a good idea. Both Rob and I are passionate readers. Growing up, books were always a topic of conversation in both our families. Every time my siblings and I would visit our grandma, she would ask us, “Now, what book are you reading now?” I had to be reading something to be able to answer her and not disappoint her! And now as adults, Rob and I make a point to read a little bit each day. That being said, we have tons of recommendations across all the genres and we love to share the books we love with others. [Shannon and I are team “physical book” as opposed to Kindle or whatever the kids are using these days. In my humble opinion there is nothing that compares to the feel of a book in your hands and even the smell of a first read novel]. Whether it’s nonfiction, fiction, fantasy, DIY, or a coffee table book, books are the perfect gift for the holidays!
Although many of these items are local to Northwest Ohio, they are easily shopable online and make for great gifts. We hope this short list sparked some creative ideas for the loved ones in your life! Happy Holiday Shopping!
Shannon [and Rob]