Now that I’m well into the third trimester, I thought I’d share a quick recap of the second trimester. Overall, this trimester was much better than the first trimester. The second trimester is typically referred to as the honeymoon period, and although it was easier than the first, it still had its challenges!
My energy did make a comeback during the second trimester and I found myself being able to successfully stay busy, check things off our to-do list, chase after Lilly, and in general move my bump more (big fan of yoga!). But the second trimester wasn’t without its challenges. I’m sharing some of the highlights and struggles below!
Some of the highlights from this trimester included:
- Deciding on a baby name! (We won’t be sharing publicly until baby boy is born!)
- Feeling baby boy move and kick. This one is definitely a swimmer and will literally swim across my belly. It’s so wild and amazing to watch and feel.
- The return of my appetite (yay!). I had such a hard time with food the first trimester and it was so refreshing to be able to eat food again and to actually have cravings. My biggest cravings this pregnancy have been strawberries and fruit in general. For weeks now I’ve been eating a pint of strawberries every day or two. I can’t get enough!! Lemonade was also a popular drink of choice during the second trimester. I would all of a sudden crave it and need to drink some immediately (so strange!).
- My energy made a comeback. I took advantage of the return of my energy to check things off our to-do list. We cleaned out the attic, planted flowers, started a flower garden, cleaned out the guest room to transform it into Lilly’s big girl room, cleaned out Lilly’s clothes to make room for baby boy’s clothes, and the list goes on.
Some of the struggles from this trimester include:
- Experiencing the physical challenges that accompany a growing bump. I’m incredibly thankful my body is strong enough to grow this baby. I truly am so grateful. Being pregnant is challenging for me, but I do realize how lucky I am to be able to grow this baby. With that being said, a growing belly does come with some physical challenges. Those being extreme lower back pain, charley horses/cramps in my legs, shortness of breath, etc.
- Accepting (or not accepting) the rapid weight gain. This pregnancy overall has seen much more rapid weight gain than my first pregnancy and that has been mentally difficult to accept, especially when I know I’m not eating my best and not getting that much exercise.
- Feeling like all my clothes are uncomfortable. For some reason this pregnancy I’m having a hard time with clothes. I can’t stand wearing pants (I actually stopped wearing them in March) and only want to wear dresses. But even some of the dresses I have proved to be uncomfortable. Basically I want to live in nightgowns and that’s it.
- Adjusting to the emotional rollercoaster of being pregnant during COVID-19. The vaccine became available to pregnant women during the second trimester and deciding whether or not to get the vaccine was the most difficult decision for us to make (it was truly so stressful for me). We had extensive talks with our doctor, we did our own research and weighed the pros and cons, we talked to other trusted medical professionals and we trusted our gut. In the end, we decided it was safer for me to get the vaccine than to get COVID, as the side effects of COVID are incredibly severe in pregnant women.
So overall the second trimester was easier and we had some beautiful moments, but it wasn’t without its challenges.
As I enter into week 32 of this pregnancy, I am getting more and more excited to meet baby boy! We are in the home stretch, and I may be feeling exhausted and heavy, but I am so ecstatic about what’s to come in just a few short weeks.