A few weeks ago we took a day trip to East Harbor State Park. I’ve written about this park that rests along the shores of Lake Erie before and thought a separate post about the actual public beach may prove helpful (as I’ve received several questions).
The 1500 foot beach is teeny tiny as beaches go. Although the beach is quaint, the views are incredible. We arrived at the park around 10:30 a.m. on a Friday and first spent our time exploring the coastal trails. We may have ventured off the sandy path, but I’m so glad we did, because the views along the rocky shore are magnificent.
We headed over to the public beach around 11:00 a.m. and already the beach was packed. It appeared as though no one was social distancing and no one was wearing masks, so trying to find a spot was a negative for us. Rob suggested we walk along the sandy trail above the beach and boy am I glad we did!!
Just past the public beach are pockets of smaller, “private” beaches. A family was leaving as we were walking along the sandy trail and offered to give us their spot. These small pockets can comfortably fit 6-8 people, which means they are perfect for a couple. There are probably about five or six of these “private” beaches past the public beach.
Because we are in the midst of a pandemic, below are some tips if you want to visit this public beach before summer ends.
- Plan your arrival time for earlier in the morning. If you want a private beach or even a claim on the public beach, I would arrive by 9:30-10:00 a.m.
- Pack your own beach chair and towels. The beach and state park are too small to offer beach chair rentals.
- Pack your own snacks and beverages. I’ve heard that there are concessions, but I’ve never seen them open.
- Bring a book, magazine, music, etc. to enjoy while watching the waves crash against the shore.
- If you have kids, bring some beach toys. Note that flotation devices are not permitted in the lake.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen and an extra change of clothes or beach coverup!
- And maybe throw in some tennis shoes if you want to explore the walking trails after sunbathing.
I think that covers it! Just as an FYI, the beach does have newly renovated bathrooms and a changing area that are cleaned regularly.
Enjoy these last few weeks of summer!!
One thought on “COASTAL OHIO: LOCAL’S GUIDE TO THE BEACH AT EAST HARBOR STATE PARK”
I always love your coastal posts! You make me want to visit a trip to Ohio asap!!! =)
LikeLiked by 1 person